Medication Therapy Management
Health care can often be complex and complicated as numerous medication and treatment choices are available. Medication Therapy Management is a service that provides education, answers to questions, and a thorough review of your current medications.
What is MTM?
- Patient education and training
- A partnership between pharmacist, the patient and/or caregiver, and other healthcare professionals.
- A way to promote proper and safe use of medications
- A way optimize therapeutic outcomes (the best result) for each individual
- Comprehensive review of medications (prescription, non-prescription, and supplements). This would include indication for use, proper dosing, administration, and storage, and possible interactions and duplications.
- A personal medication record
- A medication action plan to follow up on findings
- Communication with physician and/or referral to other services if necessary
- Documentation and follow-up
Who Would Benefit
- Anyone with complicated medication regimens
- Anyone who uses multiple prescribers and/or pharmacies
- Anyone with memory loss, depression, Alzheimer’s, or mild dementia
- Anyone with questions or concerns about how to effectively use medications
- Anyone with a history of non-compliance
- What are some benefits?
- Decreasing inappropriate use of medications and adverse events
- Improving patient and caregiver understanding
- Improving quality of life
- Example: instruction on the safe and proper use of an insulin device or inhaler
- Example: decreasing cost by changing to an equally effective but less expensive medication
If you are interested in this service, please contact Carson Huntoon by email or call the pharmacy.