Diabetic Shoes & Orthotics
Diabetic shoes, also known as therapeutic shoes, and customized orthotics work together as a preventative system to help diabetics avoid foot injuries and improve mobility. The primary goal of therapeutic footwear is to prevent complications, such as: strain, ulcers, calluses, or even amputations for patients with diabetes and poor circulation.
When looking for diabetic shoes, keep the following tips in mind:
- Your diabetic shoes should have a high and wide space in the toe box (toe area of the shoe) to prevent chafing and pinching that can harm the toes.
- Your diabetic shoes should fit well. A diabetic shoe with an adjustable closure — such as hook-and-loop — often provides the best fit since you can make it larger or smaller as needed.
- Remember to do your shoe shopping in the afternoon. Feet tend to swell up in the afternoon making shoes bought in the morning feel too tight.
- Your diabetic shoes should have comfortable yet removable insoles for fitting flexibility and the option to insert orthotics.
- Your diabetic shoes should have a firm heel to aid in support and stability.
- Your diabetic shoes should protect your feet.
- As diabetics are at great risk for developing friction related injuries we recommend shoes with rocker soles, which are designed to reduce pressure in all foot areas as the shoe “rocks” from heel-strike through toe-off due to a curved sole thus reducing pressure on the foot, ankle, toes, and metatarsals.
- It’s also important to remember to wear seamless diabetes socks and stockings along with your diabetic shoes to keep moisture away from your feet.
Orthotics also play an important role in diabetic foot care. Orthotics designed with Plastazote foam, the #1 material for protecting the insensitive diabetic foot, are usually recommended. Plastazote is a material designed to accommodate pressure hot spots by conforming to heat and pressure. By customizing to the foot, Plastazote provides the comfort and protection needed in diabetic foot care.
Our trained staff at Hoagland Pharmacy will gladly assist you in choosing the correct footwear or orthotics for your specific need. We can special order shoes as necessary and are able to bill either Medicare or Medicaid for those who meet the individual insurance requirements.
Aetrex’s iStep is the most revolutionary digital foot analysis device ever created and iStep tests are recommended for all people who want to feel great on their feet. In less than 30 seconds the iStep will capture your foot type, pressure points and shoe size and then help recommend the ideal footwear and orthotics for your individual needs.
This patented technology features 3,744 Gold plated barometric sensors that measure the pressure exerted by your foot every .25 cm(2). The high concentration of sensors allows the device to perform a precise reading, even for a small child. Amazingly, this compact device also incorporates 1,326 infrared LEDs and Receptors that are aligned every half millimeter to ensure unmatched accuracy when measuring your foot. Images can be viewed in two or three dimensions and tests can be done in either static or dynamic format.
Our customer service staff at Hoagland Pharmacy will gladly assist you in the iStep service. Come in for a free foot scan today!